Monday, July 30, 2012

Homemade Natural Flax Seed Hair Gel

All Natural Flax Seed Hair Gel Recipe


In keeping with the need to use as many natural products on my natural curls as possible, I'd like to share the recipe for a natural Flax Hair Gel. I love the firm hold that comes from this gel.  It's firm, yet softens hair nicely while also adding shine.  I absolutely love it.  In fact, I love it so much and I'm trying to to find a way to thicken it to a more stable gel consistency like that of a thick aloe vera gel or any hair gel you'd find at your local drug or beauty supply store. 

So I decided to try something different one time when I made my Flax Hair Gel.  I decided to add pectin to the mix.  Guess what? It didnt' work!  I thought I'd get something close to a Jello-like consistency upon completion.  Nope.  Not a chance.  I just got a gloopy mess of I don't even know what!!!  Has anyone out there tried to make a thicker flax hair gel?  If you feel like sharing, please do! I'd love to hear how things turned out or if you had any success with this.

In the meantime, here's a basic recipe for All Natural Flax Seed Hair Gel:

Ingredients and Materials Required


Distilled Water (2 Cups)
Flax Seeds (1/4 Cup) (I use organic flax seeds)
Stocking (knee-high)
Wooden Spoon for stirring
Tongs (or a utensil to extract the gel from the stocking)
Container or jar with a lid (sterilized)
Essential Oils for natural fragrance and healing properties (optional)

Ingredients:

Just two simple ingredients.
Oxygenated distilled water.



Two cups of water
                             
Organic Flax Seeds.

1/4 Cup of Flax Seeds











Instructions:

In a small to medium sized pot, combine the flax seeds with 2 cups of distillled water. Tap water would not be a good choice due to the purity of it. The water that I've used is oxygenated water. This is not necessary, but a great option, however, simple distilled water will do.






    
 
Bring this mixture to a boil and stir consistently. You'll want to do this for about 10 to 12 minutes to reach the desired consistency of a gel. Reduce the heat slowly and turn off.















Continue to stir.

.


Use your knee-high stocking as a strainer to extract your all-natural organic gel.


 Allow it to strain.
Now use a safe utensil to strain the gel into the
container. Now even though your gel has been cooling and you think it's cooled down, heat is still very present. So be careful, as it is VERY HOT!!!
You'll have to do a bit of squeezing. I found this takes a bit of time to get as much of the flax gel out as possible.








Once it has cooled down a bit, usually about 5 minutes, pour the contents into your clean, sterilized container. You can sterilize the container with a few sprays of rubbing alcohol and then give it a wipe.





 Finally, add your chosen natural essential oils if you choose to. I decided to give Lavender, Peppermint and Rosemary a try this time. It has a nice uplifting smell and is thought to stimulate hair growth.I recommend that you only use natural essential oils, even organic, if possible. Make sure that you do some research on essential oils and Aromatherapy. Do not use a synthetic fragrance oil in this gel, to keep it natural. I usually choose to leave it fragrance-free. Don't be afraid to experiment with your essential oil selections.  For example, by choosing oils that promote hair growth. B



You will be amazed and pleased with the results! A firm hold with moisturizing qualities.







One final note, you can re-use the flax seeds to make more gel for another time.  I highly recommend that you rinse them well, and lay to dry by air.  If you don't do this, they will eventually start to smell rather foul and get moldy.  So there you have it, a eco-friendly, organic gel, that can be recycled. 
Enjoy your organic gel. Sending love and light.

Ashley P.


Disclaimer:  This post is not meant to diagnose, treat, or cure any medical conditions.  Please check with your medical physician or alternative therapist before use.  Natural doesn't always mean better or that there won't be a negative reaction.To be safe, it may be best to do a small patch-test of an area to check for allergic reaction.  Do not use if any irritation or illness occurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment